Feb 21, 2017

Run Fast, Eat Slow: A Cookbook Review

Run Fast. Eat Slow.: Nourishing Recipes for AthletesRun Fast. Eat Slow.: Nourishing Recipes for Athletes by Shalane Flanagan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I picked up this cookbook on a whim when browsing through the new releases section of the library. I am not a competitive runner, but my husband is/was (ran in high school and college, does a few races still). While I'm not sure it will actually make you run faster, we both loved the recipes I made from this book. They were healthy, nourishing, and satisfying without leaving us feeling heavy and slow.

Here's what I tried:

Swiss Muesli Bowl, p. 46 - a type of overnight oats. It wasn't my favorite recipe for overnight oats I've ever eaten, but good.
Root Lovers' Winter Salad, p 84 - great meal. I served this to friends with roasted pork tenderloin. A great side dish, but would also be fine on its own.
Wild West Rice Salad, p 90 - Good side dish. Really loved the edamame with it.
Recovery Quinoa Salad, p 99 - delicious salad I ate for lunch many days.
Hearty Minestrone with spicy sausage and beans, p 107 - this was the first recipe I made from this book and it was outstanding. I really loved this recipe and would absolutely make it again.
High Altitude Bison Meatballs with Simple Marinara p 121, 171 - Substituted beef as bison is not readily available in the South. Great family dinner. I didn't even mind the kale in the meatballs. No one even noticed!
Shalane's Breakfast-Meets-Dinner Bowl, p 128 - good weeknight meal. Easy to make it your or your family's own.
Fish Tacos with Mango-Avocado Salsa, p 136 - delicious. Especially the salsa. My husband forfeited his share of seconds because he knew how much I loved that salsa.
Spicy Black Beans, p 162 - I can't do spicy so I left out the chipotle pepper and it was just fine. Enough flavor to keep it interesting. I was able to use the whole pot in various recipes throughout the week.
Lemon Miso Dressing, p 168 - this is REALLY lemon-y. If you love lemons, it's awesome for you. It was a bit too strong for us, though. Just cut back on the lemon juice.
Apple Cider Vinaigrett, p 173 - good
Coffee- Vanilla Peanut Butter, p 205 - this was the only recipe I had an issue with and I think it was my own doing. My peanut butter is more of a crumble than butter-like. Maybe I didn't let it blend enough in the food processor, or my peanuts were too dry to start with. However, it was still delicious. I put it in a zip-lock bag and keep it in the fridge. When we need a pick-me-up we'll get a spoonful or two.

I have plans to make the pecan butter chocolate truffles this afternoon before I return it to the library.

I really enjoyed this cookbook and if I see it on sale some place I will be sure to grab it. If you are looking for healthy, yet satisfying meals this book has some great options.


View all my reviews

No comments: