Oct 27, 2016

ORC Master Bedroom Week 4 - Art!

One Room Challenge™ Guest Participants, Week 1

Welcome back to the second week of One Room Challenge hosted by Linda at Calling It Home. I'm so excited to be able to participate this year. If you are just joining me I'm working on our new master bedroom. My family moved into this 1970 home at the beginning of the summer and we are just now starting to make it our own.  Catch up here on Week 1, Week 2, and Week 3. 

This week I'm focusing on art. I already had several pieces of art in the room I knew would stay. However, there was this big empty wall that was irking me.

I thought about doing a wall hanging, but I wasn't so sure about it. I've never made one and I wasn't sure I could perfect one in the time of this challenge. I've been wanting to play around with an engineer print for a long time, and thought this might be a great space to experiment. I had a large space to fill and about a zero dollar budget. Perfect! Bryan also was on board with the idea of an image in this space.

A long long time ago I saw a post about how you can get images for free from the Library of Congress. I searched "Memphis" and spent hours looking through over 1200 images. I narrowed it down to a few favorites and then had Bryan help me make the final decision. Below is a few favorites.




[The Levee from the custom house, Memphis, Tenn.]


Entrance to rooming house at Beale Street, Memphis, Tennessee

A rooming house on Beale Street. Reminds me of Minnie the Moocher. 

A Mississippi sunset, Memphis, Tenn.

The river at sunset. This was our second favorite. 

We decided to go with the view from the customs house because the telephone poles in the image above were really bugging me.

I found a small sketch of our home in a closet and took it to Hobby Lobby to be framed. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it, hence Hobby Lobby. I wish it had a date of when it was done because the tree situation is drastically different than it is now. Oh well. I am going to pair it with a mixed media piece I had made for Bryan. You'll have to wait to the reveal to see these.

I need to figure out how I'm going to frame the engineer print and also, you know, how to hang crown molding. See you back next week!

No comments: