Oct 20, 2016

ORC Master Bedroom Week 3

One Room Challenge™ Guest Participants, Week 1

Welcome back to the second week of One Room Challenge hosted by Linda at Calling It Home. I'm so excited to be able to participate this year. If you are just joining me I'm working on our new master bedroom. My family moved into this 1970 home at the beginning of the summer and we are just now starting to make it our own.  Catch up here on Week 1 and Week 2.

It's all about the little things! Outlets, light switches, a door that won't close, and knobs.

While I was prepping to paint I took down the outlet and light switch covers, which got me thinking about upgrading. No one likes an outdated almond outlet. So while I was making a run to Lowe's I picked up some new outlets and light switches. I even took the time to check out all the fancy light switches. When I got home and broke the news to my husband, Bryan, he looked at me like I was the craziest person in the world. I misunderstood him to think he thought I was wasting money and time,  what he really didn't understand was that a person could be bothered by an outlet or light switch. It's like he doesn't even know me!

I looked up a few tutorials and even talked to a contractor at Lowe's and it didn't seem that difficult. Until we started working on our first one. Next to impossible. We spent about 15 minutes trying to get one wire out of the old plug. Bryan was angry and I didn't want to upset him any further, so we put a halt to our outlet adventure.



A few of the outlets in our bedroom had a faux new cover so I strategically placed those on the outlets that would be visible. I'm not entirely happy with this arrangement, but I can live with it. We haven't even tired the light switches yet. #scared

While we were moving the furniture, I was able to put power strips at the outlet behind our headboard. No more cords going from the besides tables to the side of the wall!!! These are the things you don't think about on moving day.

Another little, yet significant change we made was to our door. Since we moved in it won't close. Yeah, that's not so great in a master bedroom. We would push it close as much as possible so that the pets couldn't barge in at night, but it was less than ideal. Bryan took a chisel after the top of the door and then we got the sander out. After a few minutes and a lot of dust later, we can finally close our door! This is one of those things that is stupid how happy it makes me.



The last little thing I'm considering is door knobs. We have shiny 70s builder brass knobs on all our doors upstairs. I'm toying with the idea of changing them out. But I'd have to replace 14 knobs upstairs and that can get pricey. And what would I even change it to? Oil rubbed bronze holds no appeal to me. Hmmm... Thoughts?

Unlacquered brass door knob - Brandino Brass:

This would be ideal, but I am having trouble finding it online. It's probably way out of budget though. Sigh. Maybe I'll make a trip to the hardware store to scope out the options.

As for progress in the room I've finished painting the walls and have a good portion of the trim done as well. Enough done so that we could put our furniture back and live like civilized people for the time being. I'm cramming as much painting in during naptimes as I possibly can. It is exhausting.

To add further stress we are traveling for a couple of days this week. My goal before leaving though is to make a decision regarding the art and possibly linens. So when I return I'll be the home stretch with finishing painting and finishing details.

1 comment:

Jennifer Fancher said...

Setbacks are so frustrating! Hope you find the door handles of your dreams!