Apr 19, 2009

One Year

It’s been one year of marriage. It doesn’t seem that monumental. We take it one day at a time… that’s all anyone can do, I suppose.

When Bryan answers people’s questions of how he can do marathons, he simply says, put one foot in front of the other. He honestly believes it’s that simple. To those of us who aren’t runners, it seems way more complicated than that. We went into this marriage believe that there was no back door out. We were in it to win it. So it doesn’t feel special that we’ve made it one whole year. Maybe when we hit fifty, we’ll celebrate then.

The other day I went to buy beer for our friends house sitting while we’re away. I picked up a six-pack for me too. Bryan commented on it later, I said that I couldn’t be trusted. He answered that was what he had learned in the first year, that I couldn’t be trusted. I’ve learned a lot this first year, more about me than about Bryan. Bryan is rock steady and he hasn’t changed since the day I met him. Me, on the other hand, I feel like I’ve changed so much, if only on the inside. Well… and those ten pounds are teensy bit noticeable on the outside too. I’ve learned (learning) patience, how I want to be loved, and new passions.From the fashion conscious girl, I’ve become the budding chef, interior decorator, circus leader, and estate sale hound.

We’ve come a long way in the first year. I moved out of my parent’s house for the first time, we got our own apartment, paid our own bills, got a cat, sold a car, acquired a turtle, bought a house, bought appliances, and got a puppy. It’s amazing what can happen in year. Who knows what will happen within our second year of marriage.

No comments: