Jul 29, 2008

Good news! Free, unsecured internet is back! Just when I was beginning to get used to the one spot on the couch with the low signal. I do love our couch. I'm actually sitting in the spot right now.

Tonights revelation: I love music. I'm somewhat of a music snob. I am slighty ashamed to admit that I do judge those people who only listen to the top 40 radio station. I only say that I'm ashamed because its wrong to judge. However, if there was anyone to judge it would be those people who can't look beyond the top 40. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing all top 40 songs and/or radio stations everywhere. I am merely bashing those people who don't look past it to the other great music out there.

In my office environment I am subjected to the top 40 radio station all day, everyday. I pretty much hate every song they play now. Every one. Except for today they did play the big butt song and you just can't hate that one. Anyways, the work radio often leaves me angry and depressed, but every once in a while I am reminded just how much I love love love music.

These revelations never occur while listening to the work radio -- well maybe occasionally when I'm trying to ignore it and listen to my quietly playing music at my computer. I made a bold move several months ago and brought my own computer speakers for my work computer. Only a couple of the co-workers have speakers. I believe my computer speaker purchase occurred after I was facing a major mental breakdown due to work radio induced stress. (I'm not making this up, it really really really bugs me!) Almost every day I turn my speakers on and down and listen to something that isn't, wasn't, and maybe never be on the Top 40. It refreshes me and keeps me calm. I keep it low so only I can hear it when I'm at desk close to the screen and speakers. I consider this respectful of the open environment I work in. My music makes me feel better most of the time, but I can still hear the work music over my own most of the time, which sucks.

Back to music, the iPod is pretty much my favorite invention ever. It might even top the internet and computers, even though I know one can't exist without the other. I would die without my iPod. It holds my music collection, and its not just a music collection though, its an insight into my life and taste. Its my sedative. It gets me excited about a fun night on the town or relaxes me after an bad day at the office. Its my companion when I'm alone. It was my entertainment.

I didn't mean for this post to become about the work radio or a love song to my iPod. My main point is that I had one of those revelations tonight about how much I love music and what it means to me.

Music is to me what movies at to the Baddass. He went to see the Dark Knight today alone on his day off because I've been dragging my feet to see it. Its okay though, I'm glad he went without me, it just makes the odds better for us seeing Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 in the drive in.

No comments: