Jul 8, 2013

Tigger Tail



We received some bad news regarding our first born, Tigger, today. A week or so ago we noticed a growth or some weird bump on his tail. Bryan insisted he go to the vet, despite me being pretty lackadaisical about it.

Last Wednesday they had an appointment. The vet shaved a small portion his tail and took a biopsy.

We received word today that the results showed lymphoma. Cancer.

I kinda always figured that cancer at some point would figure into our lives. Whether it was one of us, a parent, a close friend. Somehow our lives would not be left untouched. (Not that they weren't before. They were, just in a different manner.) Cancer was surely a mountain that we would have to climb together.

I never expected it to be in one of our pets. Perhaps I'm being a bit dramatic. It's a pet. Yeah whatever, maybe I am emotional. Maybe I am on my third glass of wine. That does not mean that I have not cried my eyes out about it already once today.

We went through the Bosco ordeal and death exactly a year ago. It doesn't seem fair to be back here again less than a year later. (Bosco died on July 21st if you want exact dates. We found out about her leg in March.)

Tigger does not have a death sentence... yet at least. Tomorrow I will take him back to the vet. They will do more tests and will likely cut his beautiful tail off.

It was the most beautiful tail there ever was. Bosco's was a close second with its cute little brown spot.

I remember the time that he caught his tail on fire that one Valentine's day. I was so afraid that it would maim it forever. He cleaned it up and it was as good as new the next day.

So here we are. Dealing with cancer in our first born. Tigger is approximately eight and a half years old. He is our handsome man. Perhaps a bit aloof most of the time, but he's a sweet cat who loved to cuddle with me when no one was looking.

Even though we got the worst case scenario news today, I'm hoping for the best tomorrow. Maybe the cancer hasn't spread yet and we won't be facing rounds of chemo with a cat. Maybe it won't be too bad and we'll have several more years with the little stinker. I sure hope so.

No comments: