Aug 19, 2015

Porcellino's Butcher Box

For a couple of months now we've been receiving and cooking meals from a local restaurants "butcher box." On Mondays when we opt in, I head to Porcellino's and pick up a bag of prepared or partially prepared items. Each week they provide the ingredients and sometimes the completed dish with instructions. There is usually enough food for a meal or two and a dessert item. I took some pictures from a recent box.

This week's bag was lamb ragu, lyonnaise salad, and monkey bread for dessert.

I started off making confit chicken for the salad because it took the longest. For this portion I seasoned the chicken and then put the provided ingredients in the pan. There was a ton of lard for this (that's the white stuff.)


And after two hours of cooking:



Holy shit, ya'll. This was the tastiest chicken I've ever eaten. I mean seriously. I died. Then I licked my fingers and told Bryan not to touch it.

One of the great things about the butcher box is that it teaches you methods of cooking that you might not have tried yourself. Like confit, which is cooking in fat. It will be happening again soon.



This is the finished lamb ragu. Sometimes the boxes are more hands on. This dish was all made by me. Other weeks all I have to do is heat up the sauce and cook some pasta.



Here is the finished lyonnaise salad. I shredded the confit chicken and then browned it in a skillet. I also had to make the dressing and poach an egg.

This bag was definitely one of the more intensive bags, but it was also the most rewarding. Oh dear Lord, what I wouldn't give to eat both dishes again.

For dessert they sent us monkey bread with a bourbon butterscotch sauce. We had it for breakfast the next morning.  Yum yum!

If you are interested in signing up for the Butcher Box, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the right person.

No comments: