May 23, 2014

New Music: JJ Grey and Mofro

As part of my 30 before 30 goal I wanted to spent more time this year immersing myself in music, specifically new to me music. I hope to post a few of my findings here for you. I'm not a music reviewer so don't expect any titillating review or anything.

Travel season is upon us. Next week Bryan and I hit the road for New Orleans and lower Mississippi. I never got around to finishing last seasons mixed CD. Whoops! After this week's listen I'm motivated to finish it up. Only 6 months late. Ha.

This week I listened to JJ Grey and Mofro's 2013 album The River. I even remember when I first heard of them! Early 2013 on WEVL. One of the morning shows was doing a Jazzfest preview show. Since then I've had this band tagged as a New Orleans band in my head. I am wrong. They are from Jacksonville, FL. But from their funky, bluesy sound they'd fit right in New Orleans or Memphis.

Needless to say this album is now on my "to buy" list. I love moving albums over from the "to listen" to the "to buy" category! The album is a good mix of booty shaking music, nodding head along, or just drinking beer songs.

Favorite songs: Your Lady, She's Shady, Florabama

When to listen: road trips, when you need a pick-me-up, beer drinking times

No comments: