Mar 5, 2009

Culinary Explorations

So I know I promised a while back that I was going to do more experimental cooking and I haven't, until yesterday.

One of our favorite dishes to get out is Bibimbap, a Korean dish we get at a local restaurant. We want to love the restaurant, but the service seriously sucks, so we refuse to go back. We have serious cravings for this dish and every once in a while I consider going back. But now I don't have to! I came across a recipe the other day in my daily readings (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/03/dinner-tonight-korean-bibimbap-recipe.html) and decided to try it. Mainly because my husband loves oriental food and I had promised him something "sexy" after refusing to make dinner the other night.

It was expensive to make this first time since I had to purchase sesame seed oil, rice vinegar, and chili paste along with the rest of the ingredients. But it won't be as bad when we make it in the future. The dish is rice based with meat, veggies, and an egg on top. The beauty of this dish is that there are so many possibilities and you can cater to your likes (or in some people's cases, dislikes). And its probably healthy. A lean meat, veggies, and an egg... that's healthy right? It was also not difficult to make at all. Very easy for beginners like me.

I was very proud of myself for trying a dish that is out of my comfort zone. I promptly called my mother to boast of my success. The husband was very happy and impressed as well. I will be definitely be trying more new and "sexy" dishes in the future.

No comments: