Jun 27, 2014

New Music: Stax Singles

As part of my 30 before 30 goal I wanted to spent more time this year immersing myself in music, specifically new to me music. I hope to post a few of my findings here for you. I'm not a music reviewer so don't expect any titillating review or anything.

A few months ago I wrote about visiting the local Stax Museum. A few months before that I downloaded the Stax 50th Anniversary Celebration albums and have been listening to it when I'm feeling funky. Currently I'm reading Respect Yourself: Stax Records and the Soul Explosion by Robert Gordon. It's rekindled my soul and R&B listening.

I'm not too far into the book yet, only a few chapters, but as the author writes about specific songs I find myself bookmarking and then looking up the song to listen to before continuing. It's been an enjoyable experience. So it's sort of natural that this week I wanted to listen to more. Did you know that Spotify has a the complete singles available to listen to?! Seriously, all of them. 244 songs! Yikes!

There was no way I listened to them all this week, especially as I started on Thursday morning, but I did listen to tracks 1-17, which is about where I am currently in the book.

One thing I love about this period of Stax (not that I'm familiar with the later years yet) is how diverse the music is. From the funky, cause-you-to-dance sounds of "Last Night" by the Mar-Keys to the dreamy, wistful songs of Carla Thomas. There's a little something for everyone.

When to listen: a casual dinner party, cooking or putzing around the kitchen

No comments: