Feb 17, 2014

Planting the First Seeds

It is currently 70 degrees in Memphis. 70 DEGREES!!!!!! I feel like shouting it from the roof tops.

Yesterday and most of this afternoon have been lovely. I spent some time in the yard yesterday afternoon trimming monkey grass, cleaning garden beds, and playing with a potential compost pile.

I say "playing with" because it's just a pile of clippings and leaves right now. I've thought about doing a compost pile for several years now but was never sure if I wanted to commit to it or if we even had a good space for it.



For now I decided to just try it out for a few weeks and see what happens. If it works out I'll probably build something around it to keep it more enclosed. If it doesn't work out then at least I know and can stop spending time pondering compost.

A few weeks ago I ordered my seeds for the garden through SeedSavers.org. I noticed they had a new garden planning software and gave it a try. Through the software you enter your garden dimensions and plot out what and where you'll plant. It tells you how many plants to plant and the spacing. It also tells you when based on your zone.

According to the software it's time to start planting a few things. It actually sent me a reminder email at the first of this month that I could plant my lettuce seeds indoors. Since we were still doing some traveling I decided to wait until I was going to be home for the foreseeable future. So today I took advantage of the nice weather and a loose schedule and played in the dirt!

It was glorious.

After this super cold winter I've been day dreaming of my garden worse than ever. It was so refreshing to be out in the fresh air and get my hands dirty.



So here is the very beginnings of 2014 garden. Lettuce, pepper, and parsley will all start indoors. In the next couple of weeks I'll transplant the lettuce outdoors, start more lettuce, tomatoes, and carrots. I can hardly believe its garden time again!

No comments: