Feb 14, 2014

New Music: St. Paul and the Broken Bones

As part of my 30 before 30 goal I wanted to spent more time this year immersing myself in music, specifically new to me music. I hope to post a few of my findings here for you. I'm not music reviewer so don't expect any titillating review or anything.

Last weekend I was flipping through the latest issue of Garden and Gun and noticed the article on St. Paul and the Broken Bones. I made a mental note to add them to my "to listen to" list. A couple days later I noticed NPR had their album Half the City as a First Listen and knew it was meant to be. 

The comparison to Alabama Shakes is not far off. The sounds are very similar only St. Paul includes a horn section. And you know I love a good horn section!

So I've got to admit a little failure here. I started listening one day and then the browser experienced some issues and I decided to listen again the next day... only to make it a few songs in again. Blergh! So I haven't listened to the whole album, but I still intend to. 

When to listen: house cleaning when you need a good beat, cooking, drinking wine with your spouse

No comments: