Jan 31, 2014

New Music: Brandy Clark's 12 Stories

As part of my 30 before 30 goal I wanted to spent more time this year immersing myself in music, specifically new to me music. I hope to post a few of my findings here for you. I'm not music reviewer so don't expect any titillating review or anything. 

Today we are venturing into unfamiliar waters... at least for me. Country! Besides a brief stint with country music my sophomore year of high school (Dixie Chicks will always hold a soft spot in my heart), it's pretty much off limits. Never on the radio in our homes or cars. But this album was consistently on several "best of the year" lists, so I added it to my list to listen to when I get a chance.

While the topics are typical to country: playing the lottery, cheating on your spouse, jail, being unhappy how your life turned out, smoking and dranking, Brandy's storytelling makes these tunes original. By the end of "Get High" I related to the poor woman. And the woman singing "Stripes" is my hero. I found myself chuckling to songs. 

I think one of the reasons I don't typically like country as a genre is my habit of listening to the music over the lyrics. Brandy White's lyrics are funny, accurate, and insightful. While I had to pay more attention than I normally do, I enjoyed this album greatly. Maybe not enough to purchase it, but it was enjoyable experience, which is saying something. 

When to Listen: car trip, dranking alone

No comments: