Nov 26, 2014

On Thanksgiving and Hospitality

It's here. No questions about it. It's holiday time.

When we were talking about the coming weekend at the end of last week I told Bryan that this was the last weekend of the year. Not really, but sorta. The last weekend before the holidays and new year.

I love this time of year. It's so exciting anticipating the big meals, the festive decorations and events. I really and truly love it. However, I struggle this time of year. You see, I'm not very hospitable. I want to be. I know I should be. But when it comes down to having people over or hosting a holiday gathering I stress out and I want to stab anyone that comes into my kitchen when I am in full-out holiday cooking mode. Stay out of my way or you will pay with my dagger eyes.

It's awful. I hate that I'm this way.

To make it worse I have the easiest Thanksgiving Day in history of adult Thanksgivings. So maybe my 5 year old niece has it easier, but still. My Thursday to-do list: make whipped cream. Seriously. Could it be easier? Well, yes. I could just pick up a tub of Cool Whip and call it a day, but we all know that homemade whipped cream is way better than that scientifically baffling stuff in the freezer aisle. (I'm not bashing Cool Whip, it's delicious by itself. I'm just saying homemade whipped cream is better in a different way.)

On Friday we are having some family and friends over for my annual "I've got to make my own turkey, thank you very much" feast. It's self imposed, I know. The thing is, I enjoy planning a large meal. I enjoy thinking about tablescapes and setting the table. I enjoy standing proudly over the turkey that I conquered.

So I'm trying to adjust my attitude, praying for graciousness, and making tedious to-do lists to take off the stress. If all else fails I've given myself permission for two glasses of wine over the course of the day.

Let's all take some time this weekend to step back and recognize how lucky we are and be thankful for all that we have. Crazy families or psychosis included.

No comments: