Sep 25, 2014

Restaurant Review: Schweinehaus

A few weeks ago a new restaurant opened in Overton Square. Bryan has been greatly anticipating this opening as he longed for liter beers and German food with a Memphis influence. So a couple of weeks ago we walked over on a Friday evening for a little date night.

Since it had only been open about a week or so we decided to go a little bit earlier than we normally would, about 5:30. We wanted to beat the crowds. When we arrived we were seated right away, but by the time we were done they were seating people ass to ankles.



The outside of the building, the old Paulette's space, features one of my favorite murals in the Square. (The one on the side of Bari is my other favorite.)

At Schweinehaus they do seat German family style, so you may end up sharing a bench with strangers. I don't mind this as it's always fun to get a closer look at what others are ordering and maybe even make a few new friends.



Let's talk about the beer. They have an impressive selection of German beers which I intend to explore intensively after Charlie is born. They also offer three different sizes which I appreciate. Bryan ordered a liter and I ordered an 8 oz of a hefeweizen. Behind Bryan you can see the bar area which offers bar seating as well as some standing room.



To start we ordered Brezel and Fried Brussel sprouts. Bryan really liked the brussel sprouts, but they weren't my favorite. I did enjoy the flavor and dressing, but I think fried is just not my preferred brussel sprout cooking method. The pretzel though... it is served with beer cheese and their house mustard. The start of this dish is the mustard. It's delicious.

Next up we shared the Eisbergh salad which I forgot to photograph. I was surprised to receive a wedge salad, but enjoyed the diced crispy brat bites which sort of served as a crouton.



Finally we split the Jagerschnitzel, pork schnitzel. We were a bit nervous about this choice, but were not disappointed. We received two large pieces of pork with large servings of mashed potatoes and braised red cabbage. I don't even like cabbage and it was delicious. This portion was enough for two. I couldn't even eat all of my half and took it home for lunch the next day.

We really enjoyed our dinner and look forward to going back. I definately want to try the patio while the weather is nice. It would be a great place to meet up with friends after work or on the weekends.

Scheweinehaus's website: http://www.schweinehaus.com/


No comments: