Mar 7, 2014

New Music: The Front Brother's Talon of the Hawk

As part of my 30 before 30 goal I wanted to spent more time this year immersing myself in music, specifically new to me music. I hope to post a few of my findings here for you. I'm not music reviewer so don't expect any titillating review or anything.

This week's listen was suggested by NPR Music's Bob Boilen on his list of best albums of 2013. Well, Bob, I beg to differ. This album was perhaps my least favorite yet. Such a bummer.

The Front Brothers are very vocal, lyric driven. One of my notes is "too much talky talky." That can be fine for some people, but I'm more of a music person. And also I didn't care for the singer's voice. I have issues with higher, nasal voices in that I just don't like them. (See: Neutral Milk Hotel and Bright Eyes.) The music was very simple and it wouldn't surprise me if they wrote the lyrics first and then the music. While the lyrics were sometimes witty and smart, it just wasn't my cup of tea. By the end of the listen I was developing a headache and started to act like a crotchety old man. That does not suit me.

When to listen: in college


No comments: