Feb 28, 2014

New Music: Superchunk's I Hate Music

As part of my 30 before 30 goal I wanted to spent more time this year immersing myself in music, specifically new to me music. I hope to post a few of my findings here for you. I'm not music reviewer so don't expect any titillating review or anything.

Listed on The Bitter Southerner's Best Albums of 2013 I added Superchunk's latest album to my "to-listen" list. (Spoiler alert: I still have about seven more albums to listen to that were on the best of lists last year. So you'll continue to see the previous sentence a few more times.) 

I'm not overly familiar with Superchunk. I know they've been around for a long time and I have a few songs on my iPod, but other than that I know nothing. You don't have to listen to any of their stuff for long to know they were a college band in the 90s. They'd be the band I'd love if I was in college in the early 90s. I wasn't, so maybe that's why it's not super familiar to me. 

While it's a fine album, it's not my cup of tea. They are still holding fast to the grunge. Proof: there's one song with the chorus of "get me out of the sun."  Not my preferred style of music and the band holds no emotional hold over me. So won't be purchasing anything from it. But I don't regret listening. If anything it was educational. 

Do what you will with that information. 

When to listen: deep cleaning, when reminiscing about college, if you're in your late 30s/early 40s

No comments: