Jan 19, 2014

Thinking Green

I definitely owe ya'll one heck of a trip re-cap. We got home Friday night and I haven't had a chance to go through the photos or write what all we did. I hope to make some time for that this afternoon and you can expect a post in the coming week. Until then...

The seed catalogs are arriving and I'm excited to plan for the coming gardening year. Seed Savers is my favorite and I've probably spent a couple of hours with my new catalog reading each item, thinking about the merits of different types of beans and tomatoes, considering a new garden bed.

There is something so hopeful when thinking of new vegetables and plants, new garden beds, and sunny weather. You can't help but be in a good mood.

With the success of last years garden and a little more courage to try new things, we are going to take out the two remaining shrubs in the back yard along the back fence and make that into one large garden bed. I plan on doing three types of beans and seperating them by tomatoes. I'm also ramping up our tomato selection in the hopes of canning them. We go through more than our fair share of canned tomatoes throughout the year and I'd like to at least use our own, garden grown tomatoes.And of course there will be cucumbers.

Bryan has requested potatoes so we'll be experimenting with two different varieties in the old lettuce bed.  I'm also tempted to order some garlic starters for the fall. There will also be lettuce, carrots, and peppers.

I've been thinking about trying some blueberry bushes in the side yard along our neighbor's driveway. And maybe another blackberry bush or three? I wish we had more room for fruit trees. I'd like a fig, pear, and apple to start.

My lime trees are doing well inside and the lemon is growing slow and steady. I'm toying with the idea of trying to grow lime trees from the seeds of my current limes. I don't know what I'll do with these since I don't have room for my own, but possibly to give to friends or even maybe sell. Who knows....

What are you dreaming or planning for your garden?

No comments: