Jan 24, 2014

New Music: Bryan Ferry's The Jazz Age

As part of my 30 before 30 goal I wanted to spent more time this year immersing myself in music, specifically new to me music. I hope to post a few of my findings here for you. I'm not music reviewer so don't expect any titillating review or anything. 

I love jazz. Seriously. The last two years I've developed a serious crush on jazz. I think it started when I started listening to WWOZ on a regular basis, even when not in New Orleans. The traditional jazz shows are my favorite, although I pretty much love anything they play. So when I saw this album listed on one of the "best of the year" album list I put it on my "to listen list." (It's a really long list for the record. Pretty sure it's long enough to last me the entire year.) 

This is a totally instrumental album which translates Bryan Ferry's previous work into 1920's style jazz. While I'm not familiar with his previous work or the songs on this album, it's still a great album. Each song translates beautifully. Some are melancholy and some may stir you to dance around a bit. It makes me wonder what other songs would be like if turned into jazz songs. 

When to listen: cocktail hour of a dinner party, drinking champagne, when channeling your inner Zelda. 

No comments: